Palamedes PR was appointed by prolific author and j-views Publishing founder Hugh Ashton in March 2019 to promote his books Tales of Old Japanese, At the Sharpe End, Leo’s Luck and 1894: Some Adventures of Mr. Sherlock Holmes. We were tasked with securing a guaranteed syndicated nationwide feature about Hugh’s life and writing, incorporating a Q&A interview, and preparing a complimentary, non-guaranteed regional news story.
The Consultancy delivered the following services to support the Client’s aims:
- We prepared an in-depth feature about the Client and his books, covering Tales of Old Japanese, At the Sharpe End, Leo’s Luck and 1894: Some Adventures of Mr. Sherlock Holmes in particular
- We prepared Q&A interview questions and proofed the Client’s answers for inclusion in the feature
- We devised and wrote a publication-ready news story based around the angle of the Client, one of the world’s leading Sherlock Holmes pastiche writers, aiming to match the official number of Sherlock Holmes adventures. We then distributed this to agreed regional media in and around his home in Lichfield, Staffordshire
The Hugh Ashton campaign secured the following exposure:
- A syndicated placement of the feature article and Q&A interview on 150 Johnston Press regional news websites including flagship titles The Scotsman and the Yorkshire Post
- Coverage for the regional news story in the Lichfield Mercury, a one-page placement, and Black Country Bugle
Each of the editorial products we created achieved 100% coverage with a combined reach of approximately 35 million. (This figure is based on the unique monthly visitor figures of websites and print circulation figures).
“It may be said that one sees, but does not observe, the curious incidents that make up one’s own life. The elementary solution is to call in the professionals from Palamedes – who tease out the relevant and interesting details, and present them in such a way that they become compelling reading. I very much enjoyed working with Anthony and the Palamedes team on the creation of the article about me and my writing, distributed through a nationally-distributed Web article, inviting readers to look at, and hopefully to purchase, my books. As a bonus, we also worked on creating a story with local interest for the print editions of the local regional press, which has already attracted notice. Many thanks for all of the professional guidance and help.” Hugh Ashton, author of novels including Tales of Old Japanese, At the Sharpe End, Leo’s Luck, and 1894: Some adventures of Mr. Sherlock Holmes, and founder of j-views Publishing